KAMP delivers tutoring and mentorship to newly arrived Filipino high school students through weekly sessions over the school year.
Each session is divided into three components:
Academic tutoring in math, sciences, english, social studies and other core subjects
English Language Learning Support
Support for ELL students transitioning into mainstream curriculum.
Personal Development Workshops
Examples of past workshops include goal setting, anti-bullying, post-secondary education information sessions, and exploring personal and collective migration histories.
KAMP recognizes the challenge faced by our community’s youth and seeks to provide the necessary supports to meet those challenges. The issues that KAMP addresses include:
1) Barriers to high school completion among newly arrived Filipino-Canadian Youth.
2) Academic challenges; particularly in English Language Learning.
3) Social isolation and limited networks.
4) Effects of family separation and immigration.
5) Navigating the education system at the secondary and post-secondary level.
KAMP aims to identify, understand, and address the challenges faced by newly immigrated youth through holistic support - academic, social, community and professional.